Keep track of all the delicious Slow Food URBAN San Diego events here!
And look at our blog for past events!
You can sign up for our newsletter here.
Slow Food URBAN San Diego presents
Ethical Eats: A Food Justice Panel and Community Gathering
Learn about challenges in our local food system and how we can work together for good, clean, and fair food for us all!
Food Justice Panel Discussion followed by Q&A 4pm – 5pm
Food Justice Panelists include:
* Mia Vaughnes, Founder of Good Neighbor Gardens
* Katrina Meredith, Career Coach at Kitchens for Good
* Tara May, Program Graduate at Kitchens for Good
* Shelly Hahne, Nonprofit Services Manager at San Diego Food Bank
* Moderated by Kathryn Rogers, Food Justice Chair for Slow Food URBAN San Diego
Slow Food Urban San Diego seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in our local food system. Our mission is to reconnect Urban San Diegans with each other, rediscover food traditions and cultural heritage and educate our community about the plants, animals, fertile soils and waters that produce our food. In addition, we support the mission, tenets, programs and values of Slow Food USA. We seek to inspire a transformation in food policy, production practices and market forces so that they ensure equity, sustainability and pleasure in the food we eat.
Farming is all about food. And food is best when shared with community. At our potlucks, Wild Willow Farm gives thanks to our amazing community of students, volunteers, educators, fans and eaters of every stripe.
* FEATURED music and entertainment by The Big Decisions!
* Volunteer with us from 10am-3pm!
* All levels YOGA with Abby Leilani out on the farm at 3pm! FREE with donations for the farm welcome… BYO yoga mat!
* Purchase our seasonal crops and plant starts at the Farm Stand from 4-7pm! We’ll have CHERRY TOMATO plant starts for SALE!! 6-Packs of Lettuce, Tomatoes, Kale, and Herbs will be available for $5… Mix and Match if you like!
* See what’s growing-on at the farm with a hosted Farm Tour starting at 5pm!
* Learn about our Tijuana River Valley home with an interpretive tour along the nature trails, hosted by Marz at 5pm!
* BYO T-shirt + Reusable shopping bag screening until 7pm! ($10 donation)
* If you haven’t tried Mel’s FAMOUS Pizza with farm fresh veggies, get ready for a treat! Food service and potluck opens at 6pm! (Your DONATIONS are graciously accepted!)
* Meet new friends around the Bonfire, or turnip the beet at the Drum Circle after sunset!
* Donations Requested – Thank you for supporting our farm and our work – $5 suggested, OR bring a homemade dish OR volunteer for an hour.
Slow Food has formed an exciting partnership with Snooze, a restaurant group based out of Denver. Snooze restaurants are retro-style diners which serve breakfast and lunch. They started in Denver and have thoughtfully grown to serve 17 locations in Colorado, Arizona, Texas and California. The restaurant has a strong community focus, has developed an in-depth sustainable waste management program and has also defined a food sourcing program based on its commitment to supporting good food.
Each year, they host various days in the restaurants that are focused on community giving. This year they chose to connect with and support Slow Food USA on ‘Bacon Day’ which is Saturday, September 3.
10% of National Bacon Day sales will go to support the Slow Food national office and local chapters, including Slow Food Urban San Diego!
Are you a fan of Snooze but not yet a member of Slow Food? Right now, Slow Food USA is offering 50% off membership for Snooze fans!
From event page:
Welcome to the 6th annual National Heirloom Exposition. What began in 2011 as a celebration of pure food and sustainable living has become the world’s largest annual heritage farm and garden event. Thousands of people come from around the world to the Expo to celebrate traditional crops, foods, seeds, poultry, and livestock. Featuring the largest display of heirloom produce, many small gardeners and large farmers supply an abundance of fruits and vegetables for exhibiting and tasting. More than 350 related and like-minded vendors include seed companies, tool companies, accessories, food, produce, garden products, and much more.
We welcome individuals, school groups, musicians, volunteers, speakers, musicians, chef demonstrations, and many more. The fun and educational activities are sure to influence the way people view food and our sustainable future. We have an outstanding line up of more than 75 nationally and internationally known food, farm and garden speakers that will impress even the most discerning. Visitors are entertained all day with old-time traditional music.
The National Heirloom Exposition has always been and continues to be a not-for-profit event with all proceeds above expenses being donated to local school and educational garden projects.
Communications committee is responsible for sharing the SFUSD good, clean & fair food word with San Diegans. Newsletters, stories, Facebook, Instagram, oh my. Join us. We have wine.
From event page:
The Del Mar Village Association will be hosting the first evening Taste of Del Mar event on September 8, 2016 in the Del Mar Village from 5 – 8 p.m. This year the focus will be on the culinary arts and talents of Del Mar’s top chefs, along with beer, wine, cider, mead, and distilled spirit tastings, called “Sip Stops.”
Over 20 restaurants will be participating this year including Pacifica Del Mar, Jake’s Del Mar, Kitchen 1540, and Tasting Room Del Mar. Guests can enjoy live music by Second Cousins on the KAABOO stage, as well as other local bands on satellite stages throughout the event. This will be a night to stroll, relax, and enjoy all Del Mar has to offer, while indulging your taste buds and taking in the sunset and ocean views.
Get your tickets early for this one-of-a-kind evening of bite-sized dishes and sipping serendipity! Taste tickets will be $25 per person, or $35 per person with Sip Stops in advance. Taste tickets allow one taste at each of the participating restaurants and Sip Stop tickets allow up to 10 alcoholic beverage tastings.
For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit: www.visitdelmarvillage.com
Hang out with us at Suzie’s Farm and help benefit Slow Food Urban San Diego!
10-11AM: Yoga with Maria (suggested donation $10)
12:30-2PM: Tour of Suzie’s Farm
For $25.00, attendees can get:
- Farm tour admission
- SFUSD Canvas Tote
- Harvest Bag fill up (attendees can fill up their SFUSD canvas tote with items available for harvest during the tour)
From event website:
The San Diego Gourmet Pizza Fest is a 21+ outdoor festival showcasing amazing restaurants competing for San Diego’s best gourmet pizza. The pizza will be judged by our attendees and will include 7 beer samples, music and dancing, what better way to spend your day. Join us for a great day lounging with friends listening to music enjoying, tastings and more.
At the festival you’ll get to vote for your favorite gourmet pizza while enjoying at least 7 free beer tastings, music and all while in our great San Diego weather!
There is going to be 2 awards given out: Best Gourmet Pizza in San Diego (judged by an expert panel) and People’s Choice Best Pizza (popular vote).
The proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to San Diego Mesa College.
**BUY TICKETS HERE**
General Admission is $35 for food and beverage tastings-
From event website:
Join us for an evening of celebrating sustainable businesses on the bay! We have the recipe for a good time:
Delicious tastings from waterfront restaurants:
– Ben & Jerry’s Seaport Village
– Blue Wave Bar and Grill
– Marriott Coronado Island Resort & Spa
-Tom Ham’s Lighthouse
– Coronado Brewing Company
Live green cooking competition with chefs:
– Luiste Gonzalez, Executive Chef, Puesto
– Michael Poompan, Executive Chef, Marriott Coronado Island Resort & Spa
– Kyle Covar, Executive Chef, Tom Ham’s Lighthouse
And celebrity judges:
– Sharon Cloward, President- Port Tenants Association
– Troy Johnson, Food Editor at San Diego Magazine
– Chairman Marshall Merrifield, Port of San Diego and Ginny Merrifield
– Claudia Sandoval, MasterChef Season 6 Winner
Add a pinch of live music and serve over an outdoor patio overlooking the bay!
Get your early bird tickets for only $40 until Aug. 26th!
From event website:
Inspiring Workshops, Conscious Music, Movement Arts and Ceremony. Connect with the earth through the magical enchanting presence of Terra Madre Gardens. Enjoy her bounty as we Eat from her Organically Nurtured land. Cultivate your growth through our many different environments of education, exploration, and creation. Celebrate this conscious community we are building and the common thread that weaves us together.
Welcome Prism Tribe!
We are excited to connect with you again as we cultivate our growth and celebrate the abundance of life. In each of our gatherings we honor the earth cycles that move through us. Autumn Equinox is a special time when the sun enters 0 degrees reflecting the energy of cosmic balance. It represents the equilibrium of Masculine & Feminine, Day & Night, Darkness & Light. As we spiral into balance we also move from fire to earth, grounding our intentions and witnessing the bloom of the physical and mental seeds we planted earlier in the year. This time is a transitional celebration of abundance, a time to honor terra madre for her bounty and exchange. Our Theme for this gathering that we will collectively embody is “Rooted in Balance, Blooming in Abundance.”