Keep track of all the delicious Slow Food URBAN San Diego events here!
And look at our blog for past events!
You can sign up for our newsletter here.
Whole Life Festival
(formerly Enviro Fair)
|Saturday, July 2, 2016
Free with Fair admission
Learn how to help the environment
Meet local farmers
Explore the eco-friendly marketplace, with products and services for mind, body & soul
Discover a wholistic approach to a healthy lifestyle
Listen to a guest speaker or watch a demonstration
Succulent Workshop: Create your own succulent planter in this free workshop, 11:00AM-3:00PM, with Charity Wings Art & Craft Center and Green Acres Nursery.
The Children’s Garden: Explore this interactive and educational garden filled with activities including make-n-takes, ladybug releases, scavenger hunts, storybook time and guest presenters.
The Garden Bar and Wine Nook Exhibit: Taste award-winning wines from The Toast of the Coast Wine Competition and learn about our commercial and homemade wine competitions.
We will be collaborating with The National Young Farmers Coalition and Kiss The Ground for our July community open house and potluck!
The National Young Farmer’s Coalition supports America’s next generation of sustainable farmers and ranchers. NYFC is composed not only of young farmers, but also of established farmers, farm service providers, good food advocates and conscious consumers. Learn more about how you can become a member at our event!
Kiss the Ground works to help farmers and communities build back healthy soil through policy and awareness. Co-founded by Ryland Englehart and Finian Makepeace, their organization creates media to educate and inspire people to take part in the restoration of soil, and builds networks of people to create political and social change.
* FEATURED music and entertainment by Kiss The Ground singer/songwriter Finian Makepeace and Coral Bells!
* Volunteer with us from 10am-3pm!
* Purchase our seasonal crops and plant starts at the Farm Stand from 4-7pm!
* See what’s growing-on at the farm with a hosted Farm Tour starting at 5pm!
* Learn about our Tijuana River Valley home with an interpretive tour along the nature trails!
* BYO T-shirt screening until 7pm! ($10 donation)
* If you haven’t tried Mel’s FAMOUS Pizza with farm fresh veggies, get ready for a treat! Food service and potluck opens at 6pm! (Your DONATIONS are graciously accepted!)
* Meet new friends around the Bonfire, or turnip the beet at the Drum Circle after sunset!
* Donations Requested – Thank you for supporting our farm and our work – $5 suggested, OR bring a homemade dish OR volunteer for an hour.
We could use your help in making our annual Potlucks happen. Volunteer with us!
The 6th annual San Diego Beer Fest returns to Liberty Station, and promising another fun filled day with beer, food trucks, and music. The event will feature dozens of local local and international craft beers, as well as San Diego’s most popular food trucks (food sold separately).
Admission is $40 for general admission (2pm to 5pm) and $50 for VIP (1pm to 5pm). Both include unlimited beer tastings, with VIP admission offering an added hour . Please keep in mind that the event is limited to 21 and over and no pets are allowed. For more information, go to www.sandiegobeerfest.com
***Tickets are not refundable after 7/16/16 *****
- Liberty Station – 2640 Cushing Road , San Diego, CA 92106 – View Map
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF TIME WAS NOT A FACTOR?
On July 25th, we will find out!
According the the 13 Moon Calendar of Natural Time, adapted from the Mayans, July 25th is a day between the years, outside of time.
So often in our fast paced culture, time is viewed as a limiting factor. A DAY OUT OF TIME IS ABOUT REMEMBERING THAT WE ARE LIMITLESS! And that the concept of time is just a tool. We can step into it, to organize and track, measure, and coordinate. But we can just as readily step out of it, to dream and explore and expand and enjoy!
WE INVITE YOU TO CELEBRATE THE BEAUTIFUL MIRACLE OF LIFE BY EXPLORING THE INTRIGUING MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE, AND DANCING YOUR PANTS OFF!!
EVENT WILL INCLUDE:
-Time bending LIVE MUSIC
-Mind bending LIVE ART
-Workshops exploring the Mysteries of Time, Space, and Reality
-Interactive Sacred Theater
-Conscious Local Food, Drink, & Craft Vendors
Line Up Coming Soon
Admission is Donation Based
This event will also be the launching pad for ORA PLANNER. This is a revolutionary app for mobile devices that bridges our current time-tracking system, the Gregorian Calendar, and the 13 Moon Calendar of Natural Time. With daily affirmations, easy-to-navigate scheduling ability, and an education in the inner psychological seasons, this app will help you move through the time of your life with intention, productivity, and grace.
Exhibitor Registration is open! contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Sponsorship Opportunities are available! contact email@example.com for details.
On Saturday July 30th, join us as we celebrate the adoption of Urban Agriculture Incentive Zones in the City of San Diego and discuss opportunities to cultivate food initiatives in our cities.
- 9:30am-1:00pm: Attend the 2016 Food Forum at City College (1313 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101) and participate in dialogue on food policy opportunities in our cities including land access, urban agriculture, farmers markets, and community gardens
- 1:00pm-4:00pm: Join us at the Envision Urban Ag Fair at SILO (753 15th St, San Diego, CA 92101) to grab lunch and obtain resources to grow food in our cities. Fair will include an urban farmers market, live music, local organic food and beer, seed exchange, composting workshops, resources for growers, cooking demos, and more!
For more details, see event website.
Communications committee is responsible for sharing the SFUSD good, clean & fair food word with San Diegans. Newsletters, stories, Facebook, Instagram, oh my. Join us. We have wine.
From Mindful Fitness event website:
A Nostalgic Evening
Ready for some summertime fun? Spend a carefree evening at Suzie’s Farm enjoying warm summer breezes, a golden sunset and listening to the dreamy music of Mr. Gregory Page.
This unique English born, US-based singer/songwriter creates compelling songs that are full of cinematic melodies.Mr. Page’s songs capture the innocence, grace, and joy of the early 20th century. His wistful longing for a bygone musical era borders on fantasy, but his beautifully crafted songs – and the sincerity and passion with which he performs them – draw the listener into his seductive world. Gregory’s star shines brightly outside of his adopted country as he tours frequently through Europe and Australia. Click here to learn more about Gregory Page.»
Suzie’s Farm is a family operated 70-acre organic farm whose mission is to feed San Diegans the freshest and healthiest produce while creating a community of people who are passionate about organic, locally grown produce. The farm is located about 13 miles south of downtown San Diego. Click here to learn more about Suzie’s Farm.»
Join us for an exclusive farm tour before the show just for concert goers! You’ll learn the meaning and importance of organic farming as guides share farming methods, reveal ethno botanical mysteries, and offer tips on cooking and gardening. Meet our pasture-raised hens and taste sun-ripened summer veggies straight from the field!
Under a grove of Eucalyptus trees, the music begins and slowly, the light changes and a golden sunset colors the evening. Mr. Gregory Page captures the audience with his engaging lyrics and soothing melodies reminiscent of the 1920’s sweet jazz era. Songs, stories and poetry is weaved together to make this a memorable experience. Mr. Page will be accompanied by Sky Ladd on keyboards and Josh Hermsmeier on drums.
Winner of the 2012 San Diego Music Awards for Best Jazz Album, “Shine Shine Shine,” Mr. Page’s talent is exceeded only by his kind heartedness and gentle spirit.
“I love to live a bit in the past…it’s somehow appealing,
whereas the future is still uncertain.” Gregory Page
Lazy days and warm summer nights are a reminder to slow down, breathe, and listen to the music…
Mindful Fitness in partnership with Suzie’s Farm is hosting this fun evening on the farm!
From event website:
Join Austin Durant, founder and Chief Fermentation Officer of Fermenters Club, as he takes you into the wild and wide world of fermentation, in a bucolic farm setting!
In this workshop, you will
– Learn all about food fermentation and how easy and safe it is
– Taste a variety of slow pickled (fermented) summer fruits and veggies
– Make a jar of pickles to take home (and ferment!)
– Enjoy a pint of Bootstrap Kombucha (a fermented tea soft-drink), a local brewer who uses only organic, seasonal ingredients
Cost: $40/single or $75/pair
– Farm tour A: 10:00am to 11:30am (Reserve separately at http://suziesfarm.com/
– Workshop A: 11:30am to 1:00pm
– Farm tour B: 12:30pm to 2:00pm (Reserve separately at http://suziesfarm.com/
– Workshop B: 2:00pm to 3:30pm
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!
1. Choose one of two different workshop sessions:
– Session A- 11:30am to 1:00pm
– Session B- 2:00pm to 3:30pm
2. You are encouraged to BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH. There’s plenty of space to spread out and create your own picnic!
3. OPTIONAL FARM TOURS. RESERVE YOUR SPOT IN THE FARM TOUR HERE. BE SURE TO SELECT AUGUST 20. Reserve separately athttp://suziesfarm.com/
The Grove at Suzie’s Farm is a 2-acre parcel of land with even ground, lots of natural light and a lovely shaded area dotted by several large Eucalyptus trees. The Grove is planted with row crops along with herbs and flowers.