Keep track of all the delicious Slow Food URBAN San Diego events here!
And look at our blog for past events!
You can sign up for our newsletter here.
From event website:
California is a state rich in extraordinary beauty and agricultural abundance, with a tradition of craft and culinary innovation. That’s why gourmets converge each year in beautiful La Jolla, California for a unique celebration of California’s beauty, bounty, and craftsmanship.
The twelfth annual gathering to “Celebrate the Craft” will take place on Sunday, October 12th at The Lodge at Torrey Pines®. For the past twelve years, “Celebrate the Craft” has been one of Southern California’s premier showcases for regionally grown ingredients and innovative cooking and winemaking.
As in years past, the celebration featured the finest food artisans from across California’s broad culinary spectrum, which demonstrated, discussed, showcased, and tasted their way through the vast array of premium food products available throughout the state. “Celebrate the Craft” delights anyone eager for food prepared with natural ingredients and careful craftsmanship. “The growing season runs year-round in our neck of Southern California, and the local agricultural community takes full advantage, affording us a unique variety of the freshest produce,” said Jeff Jackson, Executive Chef at A.R. Valentien at The Lodge at Torrey Pines and an innovator of fresh, regional cuisine. “With a daily abundance of fresh food to work with, it’s little wonder our local chefs are so creative.” The food and wine portion of the festival reaches its peak on Sunday, with a full day of cooking demonstrations by participating chefs from San Diego’s premier restaurants. Growers, vintners, and culinary artisans from some of California’s most renowned farms, bakeries, wineries, and confectioners were on hand to share their skill and enthusiasm. The Lodge at Torrey Pines, San Diego’s premier Five-Diamond resort, embodies the very best of Pacific Coastal living. Designed in the Arts & Crafts tradition of architects Charles and Henry Greene, The Lodge is a loving homage of California Craftsman architecture, emphasizing authentic materials and craftsmanship, respect for the natural landscape, and integration of indoor and outdoor living.
Continue to check www.celebratethecraft.com for updated information.
A portion of the proceeds of Celebrate the Craft will be donated to:
Slow Food Urban San Diego, a 501(c)(3) organization
302 Washington St. 216, San Diego, California 92103
EIN No. 35-2352310
This contribution is not tax deductible.
From event website:
Spend a night with us on Coronado Island, indulging your senses and enjoying amazing bites prepared by our local chefs. Take a culinary trip around the world sampling from our local bistros. Meander along Orange Avenue or take a ride on the complimentary trolley. This will be a night to remember so come and bring your friends!
Fifth Annual Taste of Coronado
Wednesday, October 15th, 2014 5:00pm-9:00pm
Tickets are $40 in advance and $45 the day of the event. Tickets are sold at the following locations…
Glorietta Bay Inn
1630 Glorietta Blvd
131 Orange Ave
Tickets are open to all ages but you must be 21 or older to participate in the alcohol tastings. On the day of the event, please bring your e-ticket print out to on our our ticket locations on Orange Ave.
+ Location #1 Rotary Plaza at the 1000 block of Orange Ave
+ Location #2 101 B Avenue, across from the Ferry Landing
We will exchange your ticket for a tasting card. You can start your tastings from either end of Orange Avenue.
Raise a glass for the next Science on the Rocks party!
The Science of Spirits: Craft Cocktails
Thursday, October 16, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
We’re stirring up the fun at our next party, The Science of Spirits: Craft Cocktails. We’ll tantalize you with sips and stories from San Diego’s best bartenders and reveal the chemistry behind your favorite whistle-wetters. You’ll enjoy sweet and savory food and drink samples, intriguing activities and fascinating chats with experts among the interactive exhibits of the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center.
- Be tempted by sinful sips from Twisted Manzanita Spirits, Old Harbor Distilling Co. and Ballast Point Brewing and Spirits.
- Sample bites courtesy of local restaurants. Try chicken wings from South Park Abbey, octopus salad from The Patio Restaurant Group, artisan bread by Sadie Rose Bakery, a mushroom phyllo purse from Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, octopus carpaccio from Glass Door and Southwestern Chicken Sliders by Terra American Bistro and Catering.
- Shake, stir and swizzle! Join Polite Provisions owner, Erick Castro, as he reveals the craft of cocktails and the elements that distinguish a handmade libation from a run-of-the-mill drink.
- Explore the distilling process with experts from Old Harbor Distilling Co., The Twisted Manzanita Spirits and Ballast Point Spirits. From ingredient selection to bottling the finished product, craft distilling combines art and technology to create pure cocktail pleasure.
- Join the Spirit Society for a special class and learn to make the perfect cocktail, courtesy of the expert bartenders from Polite Provisions. $15 for the 30-minute class—and students get to drink their creations.
- Get your Bond on. Local scientists delve into shaking vs. stirring and how those motions affect your cocktail.
- Investigate infusion! Bacon vodka? Cucumber gin? Local scientists dispel confusion and explain the art of infusion.
- Put on beer goggles and attempt to complete our sobriety tests.
- Learn the truth about proof. If a whiskey is 90 proof, what does that mean? Local scientists explain.
- Discover density. Local scientists challenge you to experiment with different liquid densities and how they affect cocktail mixing.
- Take it slow and make your own Super Slo-Mo Video, thanks to A Little Scene.
- Shake your groove thing to Engage Drumbeats by Dre, a dynamic DJ and drummer duo.
- And dive into DNA in our new exhibition, Genome: Unlocking Life’s Code.
Advance sales end at 4 p.m. the day of the event. Tickets at the door, if available, are $30 and $45, no discounts.
This event is open to savvy adults ages 21 and over only. I.D. is required. A cash bar features beer, wine and select cocktails. Tickets for this event are on sale now.
– See more at: http://www.rhfleet.org/events/science-rocks
From event website:
Join us for a great day of family fun at Suzie’s Farm for Pumpkin Palooza, our annual Pumpkin u-pick event. Along with more than 10 varieties of pumpkins in our pumpkin patch, there will be live music, a costume contest for the kids, pumpkin carving station, food vendors, and more fun than you can imagine.
Live Music from:
The Big Decisions (10:30am – 12:30pm)
Jimmy Ruelas (1:30pm – 3:30pm)
Or bring a picnic!
Terra Madre and Salone del Gusto 2014
October 23-27, 2014 in Turin, Italy
The Olympics of Food
By Ellen Freytag, Slow Food USA Delegate
Individuals from all over the world who are passionate about good, clean and fair foodmake a pilgrimage to Turin/Torino every two years to be a part of the world’s largest food and wine fair, Salone del Gusto, and the concurrent world meeting of food communities, Terra Madre.
The best way I know to concisely describe Slow Food’s biggest international event is to tell you that it’s an Olympics for Food — except instead of the competitive “Faster, Higher, Stronger,” the motto of this Food Olympics is “Slower, Slower, Slower.” The convening begins with an opening ceremony, held in Turin’s Olympic Stadium. Official delegates from more than 100 countries gather to represent the very best of what their country’s food systems have to offer.
Join us for Slow Sips on November 4th, 6-8pm, in Balboa Park at Panama 66, one of our newest membership benefits partners!
As always, you’ll be able to learn more about getting involved in our grass-roots organization, sign up to be a volunteer, and meet and mingle with like-minded friends. There will be a cash bar and full menu available for ordering, and Slow Food Urban San Diego members will receive a 10% discount off food and drinks! Please let us know that you’re coming: RSVP here!